Zelle is a convenient service that allows you to send money to others quickly. Chime is a fintech (financial technology) company that offers online banking services for easy management of your money. But can I use Zelle with Chime? As of now, you can’t directly link Zelle to your Chime account or the other way around.
While we all hope that this might change in the future, Chime already has a bunch of other ways for you to send and receive money with Zelle, even without bank account. For instance, Chime’s “Pay Anyone” feature is a solid alternative. And if you are a fan of Venmo or Cash App, you can use those platforms with Chime too, whether you are on an iPhone, iPad, or Android device. This guide will walk you through the alternatives you have to use Zelle with Chime.
Can I Use Zelle with Chime?
You can’t directly use Zelle with your Chime account. That’s because Zelle is designed to work with traditional banks, and Chime is not one. Chime is more of a fintech company, not a standard bank, so it is not on Zelle’s list of supported banks. But don’t worry, you have other options for sending money.
For instance, Chime has its own feature called Pay Anyone. This feature lets you send money not just to other Chime members but also to people who do not use Chime, including Zelle. All you need is their unique $ChimeSign, or you can use their phone number or email address to send them money.
If you are still looking for more ways to send money, you can also link your Chime debit card or checking account to other payment apps like Venmo or Cash App. This way, you can easily transfer funds using those platforms instead of Zelle.
So, while Zelle and Chime aren’t directly compatible at the moment, you still have plenty of options to move your money around.
How to Set Up Zelle with Chime
1. Use Chime’s Pay Anyone Feature
You can use Zelle with Chime using the Pay Anyone feature.
- Find the Person You Want to Pay. Open your Chime app and tap on “Pay Anyone”.
- If the person you want to pay is also a Chime user, you can find them by typing their $ChimeSign.
- If they are not on Chime, you can look through your imported contacts or simply type in their email or phone number.
- Fill in the Payment Details. Next, you will need to enter how much money you want to send.
- You can also add a little note to explain why you’re sending the money.
- Want to make it more fun? Add a GIF or an emoji.
- Complete the Payment.
- Before you send the money, double-check all the details to make sure everything is correct.
- Once you are sure, tap the “Pay” button.
- If the person you’re paying is a Chime member, they will get the money right away.
- If they’re not, they have two weeks to enter their debit card information to collect the money.
That is all. Just make sure you have enough money in your Chime Checking Account to cover the transfer. The money will be taken out as soon as you tap “Pay.”
How to Receive Money with Chime Pay Anyone Using Zelle
If you are not a Chime member, don’t worry—you can still get your money easily. When someone sends you funds through Pay Anyone, you’ll receive a notification, either as a text or an email. This message will contain a link to Chime’s website.
To claim your money, simply click on the link and provide your debit card details. You have 14 days to do this before the money goes back to the sender. The great news is that you can access your funds immediately, and there are no fees involved.
2. Link Chime to Cash App
You can’t directly link Chime to Zelle. However, you can use Cash App as an alternative to transfer money. Here’s how you can link your Chime card to Cash App:
- Opening Cash App. Look for the Cash App icon on your phone. It’s easy to spot; it has a white dollar sign set against a green backdrop.
- Go to Your Profile. Once the app is open, you will see a profile icon. It’s located in the upper-right corner of your screen. Tap on it to proceed.
- After tapping the profile icon, you’ll see various options under the Account & Settings section. You might need to scroll a bit, but you’ll find an option that says Linked Banks and Tap that.
- Now you’ll see fields asking for your Chime card information. You’ll need to enter the Card Number, the Expiration Date, the Security Code, and your ZIP code. Make sure to put them in the correct fields.
- After entering all the required details, you will see a green button at the bottom that says Link Card. Tap it, and your Chime card will be added to your Cash App wallet.
Once your Chime card is linked to Cash App, you can easily transfer money from your Chime account to your Cash App wallet. From there, you can send money to anyone you wish. So, while you can’t use Zelle with Chime directly, Cash App offers a convenient workaround.
3. Add Chime Card to Venmo
If you can’t use Zelle with Chime or even the Pay Anyone feature for any reason, then consider switching to Venmo.
- First, launch the Venmo application on your device. The app icon is a white “v” set against a blue backdrop. If you’re not already signed in, go ahead and log in using your credentials. If you don’t have an account, you can set one up at this point.
- Once you’re in, look for the Me tab located at the bottom-right corner of your screen and tap it. This action will take you to your personal profile page within the app.
- Locate the gear-shaped icon, or the settings cog, in the upper-right corner of your profile page. Tap it to access more options.
- In the settings menu, scroll down a bit until you find the Payment Methods option. It should be listed above Shipping Addresses. Tap Payment Methods to proceed.
- Here, you will see an option to +Add a bank or card. Tap it, and a new pop-up menu will appear on your screen.
- In this pop-up, you will notice two options: Card and Bank. Since you are linking your Chime account, you can either tap Card to add your Chime card details or select Bank if you prefer to connect your Chime bank account.
- If you choose Card, you will be prompted to enter your Chime card information. Fill in the required fields with your Card Number, Expiration Date, Security Code, and ZIP Code.
- Finally, look for the blue Add button at the bottom of the screen and tap it.
Your Chime card will now be successfully added to your Venmo wallet, allowing you to send money through Venmo using your Chime account.
How Do I Add a Chime to Zelle?
- Download the Zelle app and open it up.
- You’ll see a “Get Started” button, so go ahead and tap it. It’ll guide you through setting up your Zelle account.
- When Zelle asks you which bank you’re with, type in “Chime”. You won’t see Chime listed, and that is not a problem. Just tap the button that says “Don’t See Your Bank?” After that, you will get the chance to put in your email.
- You will see a form asking for your Chime debit card details.
- Fill that in, and you are all set. Now you can use Zelle with your Chime account.
Chime Zelle Limit
For Zelle, the limit is a bit different depending on your bank. If your bank or credit union is partnered with Zelle, you will need to check with them to find out your sending and receiving limits. In this case, Chime sets those limits, not Zelle. But if your bank or credit union doesn’t work with Zelle, don’t worry. You can still use the Zelle app. In that case, you can send up to $500 a week and receive up to $5,000 a week between Chime and Zelle.
Regarding Chime, when you first set up your Chime account, there are some limits. For ATM withdrawals and over-the-counter (OTC) withdrawals, you can take out up to $515 each day. When it comes to using your Chime card for purchases or getting cash at the point of sale, your daily limit is $2,500.
Why Can’t I Use Zelle with Chime?
Having gone through the perspective of this article, you would learn that “it seems you can use Zelle with Chime after all”. Indeed, contrary to some beliefs, you can actually use Zelle with Chime. But the key point is that neither Chime nor Zelle specifically supports their platforms. If you look at the Zelle website, they do not list Chime as part of their 1,800+ bank networks. But that does not mean that it won’t work with Chime.
On the other hand, Chime has integrated Zelle into its banking app. So, it is easier for users to send and receive money. To use Zelle with Chime, you need to link your Chime debit card to Zelle as explained earlier. Or, you can follow these steps:
- Open your Chime banking app and go to the “Move Money” option.
- Choose “Send Money with Zelle” and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Enter your Chime debit card number and other required details.
Pros and Cons of Using Zelle with Chime
- Pros. Instant money transfer, no hidden fees, easy to use, and integrated into Chime’s banking app.
- Cons. Only available in the U.S., limited customer support, and can only be used with traditional brick-and-mortar banks.
Zelle is compatible with most debit cards, including Chime’s. If you don’t have a Chime account, you can still use Zelle by linking your bank account to the Zelle app.
Chime Pay Anyone vs. Zelle
Pay Anyone and Zelle are both methods for transferring money, but they have some differences. With Zelle, you can quickly send money to others who also have Zelle accounts. You can do this directly from your bank account using either an email or a phone number. If your bank isn’t partnered with Zelle, don’t worry. You can still use Zelle by signing up through their mobile app with your debit card.
On the other hand, Chime’s Pay Anyone feature doesn’t require both parties to have a Chime account. This makes it a bit more flexible. As for fees, Zelle itself doesn’t charge you anything to send or receive money. However, your bank might have some fees if you’re using Zelle through them. In contrast, Chime doesn’t charge any fees for using Pay Anyone.
What Bank is Chime on Zelle?
Chime is not a bank, but rather a financial technology company. Banking services on Chime are provided by The Bancorp Bank, N.A. or Stride Bank, N.A.; Members FDIC.
Conclusion – Can I Use Zelle with Chime?
Yes, you can but not directly. So, as of now, while it may seem that Zelle and Chime are not directly compatible. However, that doesn’t mean you’re out of options. Chime’s Pay Anyone feature is an alternative that allows you to send money to anyone, whether they have a Chime account or not. Plus, you can link your Chime account to other payment platforms like Venmo and Cash App, giving you even more flexibility. Even Zelle allows you to send money to non-network institutions.
So, while you may not be able to use Zelle directly with Chime, there are plenty of other ways to move your money around. Whether you’re looking for speed, flexibility, or low fees, both Zelle and Chime offer features that can meet your needs. It’s all about finding the right fit for you.
Read also: Does Zelle Work with GO2bank?
We will send more information to your email. Don't miss out.